Become a Master Singer
Auditions for Master Singers of Milwaukee (MSM) will be held on August 22, 2023 First Congregational Church in Wauwatosa. Interested singers should fill out the form below or call 888-744-2226. Auditions will be every 10 minutes. If this time and date do not work for you, please let us know and we can set up an individual meeting a different day.
At the audition, the singer will perform for only the artistic director. You will not be asked to audition in front of others. After an individual audition is complete, the singer may be invited to attend a rehearsal as a further assessment tool. Current members are re-evaluated periodically.
Singers are expected to attend one evening rehearsal per week from early September through mid-May, with additional rehearsal requirements immediately prior to concert performances. Our main rehearsal site is First Congregational Church, located at 1511 Church Street in Wauwatosa.
Rehearsals are on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:30 pm with a Friday evening dress rehearsal (7:00-9:30 pm) immediately preceding each concert.
All singers must be COVID-vaccinated to participate. MSM will follow CDC and local guidelines for masking.
The purpose of auditions is two-fold. First, the audition provides the Artistic Director with a well-rounded assessment of your skills. Second, the audition assists the singer in defining strengths and areas for improvement.
- Sight-sing/read melodic exercises
- Tonal memory & rhythm exercises
- (Optional) sing a prepared vocal solo, hymn, or folk song
You will be asked a few questions regarding basic music theory which may include:
- Notation and music symbols
- Key and meter signatures
- Musical terms
- No decision will be communicated to the singer at the time of the audition. Singers will receive a written notice either by mail or email
- Possible outcomes include:
- Full acceptance
- Provisional acceptance (requires a re-audition at end of trial period)
- Non acceptance
- Attend regular rehearsals – One absence is allowed per concert cycle
- More than one absence in a concert cycle requires approval from the Artistic Director
- Attend a pre-scheduled dress rehearsal, usually 7:00-9:30PM on the Friday prior to a performance
- Participate in concerts, typically 3-4 concert cycles per year. While we prefer members participate in all concert cycles, arrangements can be made with the Artistic Director to participate in fewer if necessary.
- Prepare for rehearsals by spending time learning music on your own
- Utilize Director’s notes and music links as resources for personal prep
No individual will be barred from participation due to inability to pay. If finances are a hurdle for any member, they should confidentially contact the president, and alternative arrangements will be made.
- Donate to the organization via a monthly or annual pledge. Basic pledge level is $10/month
- Donations above the basic amount are encouraged
- All donations are tax-deductible
- Scholarships are available on a limited basis. Please ask for details
Concert attire is All-Black and singers provide their own concert attire. If different concert attire is required, advance notice will be given
Choir members are strongly encouraged to sell or buy at least four (4) tickets per concert.
- Members are expected to contribute to the success of the group – offer a helping hand by giving of your time and/or expertise, share ideas (e.g. ways to recruit new donors, volunteers and/or pro bono assistance), suggest marketing strategies, etc
- Volunteer to serve on various committees that are periodically formed to assist with the non-musical tasks of the organization